Monday, February 20, 2012

Venice Part 2

Just a quick post tonight. I am sooo tired! I slept in really late today and it has got me all thrown off.

I went grocery shopping before heading to the city. I wanted to have enough energy to stay out til it was dark so I didn't rush and liked the late start. It was raining most of the day today, and I found all the broken umbrellas in garbages in town kinda funny! It was too windy for umbrellas I guess.

So, Venice isn't navigable by map. Like, don't even bother buying one. You're better off to just wander, follow an occasional sign, and hope you get where you're trying to go. Better yet, do what I did and try to go nowhere..and when you end up somewhere, check it out!

Today I got to see the big and small alleys and canals of Venice as well as the Frari Church and St Mark's Basilica. The Frari Church is the best way to see Venetian art because the art is where it was meant to be instead of on a wall in a museum. Inside is work by Donatello, Bellini, and Titian. It was one of my favorite churches I've seen! St Mark's Basilica was even prettier on the inside than it is on the outside. The ceiling is all mosaic...gold mosaic...and it glows when the lights are on. It's beautiful.

Random side note: I saw a Sheltie today. I miss my dogs!

I spent the rest of the day just wandering. Venice has a lot of museums and things like that to see, but to me Venice in and of itself is a museum. I don't think I went down the same street twice today. I just walked and walked...and then when I got tired I enjoyed a €4 cup of hot chocolate in a warm cafe. Rip off...but it was delicious. There's no where to sit in Venice so it was nice to rest my legs too. I made it to dark and enjoyed floodlit Venice.

Venice was a nice change of pace from Rome, and I enjoyed relaxing and wandering over all 400 bridges and through all 2,000 alleys...no cars, no crosswalks...it was lovely. I love it here!

Travel day tomorrow so the post will likely be boring unless something super exciting happens on the bus and/or trains.

Oh and my face is sunburned. I din'y know how, when, or where it happened!!
I miss my puppies!!
Fruit/Vegetable market boat
Broken umbrellas in the trash bin (rubbish bin, excuse me)
Venice canal
4 euro hot chocolate
Rialto Bridge/Grand Canal
So many beautiful bridges!
St. Mark's Square
Golden mosaic ceiling
Terrible picture of Venice at night
Frari Church
Canals, bridges, boats
I love pizza.

4 comments:

  1. Did you see Marky-Mark while in Venice?

    I am so glad we got to watch The Italian Job before you left becasuer I can picture them speeding down the canals in their boats.

    Looking forward to the report on the 14 hour train ride...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say that!! On Sunday I only saw the grand canal and small rivers so I was feeling like the Italian job was fake. But yesterday, Monday, I totally saw boats speeding by (in my head) and it was awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did that person know you took a picture of their dog? You are getting really good at discretely taking pictures. Professional undercover photographer! Venice sounds so nice. That's awesome that you just wandered around. I hope you enjoy your long travel day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty much a certified creeper. I would have got a better picture but my camera took forever to load!

      Delete