Sunday, February 26, 2012

J aime Normandy

Attention all readers. Do yourself a favor and drop everything, pack your things, and move to Normandy. Don't ask questions. Just do it, and thank me later.

Today, Roger showed me around the coast. We drove up to Granville, getting out to explore along the way. Unfortunately, it has been foggy so I could not see far. The views were astounding nontheless, and I have officially fallen in love with France. I want to live in a village and own cows, goats, chickens, and dogs. I want to live a mile from all my neighbors. I want to have roads made for cycling and jogging. I want to have a bike with a basket for running to the local market. I want a vegetable and herb garden and fruit trees. Oh, and a field of strawberries. I want a stone house with adorable shutters and window boxes of flowers. I want camping and hiking around the corner. Oh, and I want the ocean just a hop, skip, and a jump away. Where can I find such a place?! Oh, what?? I'm totally there.

No where have I felt so far from the world. Nothing in the media or news matters here. It's truly just beautiful countryside, living the most simple of lives. If I had my family here, everything would be perfect. We'd cook food, eat cheese, ride bikes, play in our acres of land with our dozens of animals, and swim at the beach. No worries or cares...how we'd earn money I have yet to figure out. Maybe a milk/egg farm?? I could bake bread and croissants. We could sell our goods at the local market that I'd ride my bike too. Any and all of the above sounds good to me. The only thing this place is missing are the cobblestone streets I've grown to love, but if I make my driveway and sidewalk cobblestone, I just might have everything I've ever wanted. Doesn't it all sound so lovely? It's really not that unrealistic either, right??

I made the spaghetti bolognese. Bolognese is a word I've learned over here and it is a meat-based sauce for pasta. It's pronounced kinda like "bule-ya-naise." Anyway, Roger gave me an A for presentation and an A- for taste. I've always been better/more concerned with the presentation since I don't have taste buds myself...making it hard to be a chef of any sorts. We enjoyed lunch while we watched futbol all afternoon. It was some great soccer...Arsenal v Tottenham and then Liverpool v Carling. I'm amazed at how stupid Americans are for not jumping on the soccer bandwagon. It is HUGE literally everywhere except America.

I let the goat in/out of its pen today. It has to be staked like a dog so that it doesn't choke itself in the bushes or drown in the pool like the past two goats. If I had a goat, I would walk it like a dog. Doodee is strong!! She pulled me across the yard and it took me several tries to stake her down. I know Roger watches from the window and laughs at me. I want a goat!!!!

Roger took me and Elise and Elise's fiancée James out to dinner...it was nice to finally meet her! She's not at all what I was expecting. She's only 22! I hope to learn some fine cooking from her.

Dinner was great! I had duck, and it was beautifully served with mashed potatoes and some sort of pickled cabbage. The portions are much smaller than at home, and the prices are much higher. I was plenty full bit had a delicious ice cream something or other for dessert as well as some chocolate mousse. Did I say I love France?

It is going to be great here! I hope Roger can take me up to the D day beaches when the weather gets better. We're for sure going to Mont St Michel sometime this week. I never liked history before this trip, but learning it in a classroom is much less exciting than the hands on experiences I'm having here.

Anyway, I think that's all. I'm so tired because I'm so full!! Bon soir!!

8 comments:

  1. I hear and I obey!!! About the "pack your bags and come to Normandy" command.

    I will arrive Paris March 6 and leave March 16. I will have a car but please reserve me a bed at Le Merevielle and then let's do some research for the days in Paris. In addition to Delta miles (not so many now!) I also have Hilton points!

    I will bring my beret... :)

    Salut!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Doodee! I want you to pack Doodee in your bag and bring him home with you! We're already breaking every city ordinance with all our pets, we might as well have a goat too. And I want it to be Doodee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, you are just totally ok with dad's comment and plans?! You realize he's dead serious right?! Haha! I thought I got my crazy from my mom, but it's definitely from both my parents. We can't have a goat in kaysville? :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know he's totally serious. Perhaps not the best timing for spending money in the world, but I trust him and he's never let me down before so we will be fine. He's always wanted to go to Europe with you girls but holds himself back. When Dad does something that doesn't hold back on his dreams, I'm all for it, because he holds back way to much. I love to see him get excited about the chickens and I'd love to see him get away and go to a place he wants to go. I will be here at home holding down the fort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you could come too!! You're amazing!! What a wife/mother you are!! I'm glad I get to learn from the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, gawl!!! What are you trying to do? Smear my mascara? I'm glad I didn't read this at school.

    You give me way too much credit!! You know it's because I had kids who were patient with me and respected me through all those times (which was the majority) when I was totally screwing up! Mom's need to hear those things though, even if they are not totally true. So easy to second guess myself all the time.

    Wish I could come too, but it seems that the way of our family when it comes to travel is to go separate. That's just the way it is. Because of points we're only spending about $100 for the flight and if Roger will let dad stay free, you can't beat a trip to France at that price and it would be stupid to not do it. Who knows....maybe dad will do so well as the handyman that Roger will hire him permanently and we'll all move to France!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am starting to wonder if we'll see Casie and Steve again...they may never come home!!!! Sounds like a fairy tale village.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roger has also joked about hiring dad so maybe you should start packing up the house. :/

    Vanessa, if (not when) we do come back, you and the rest of the family should feel pretty darn loved cause you guys are the only thing we'd come back for!

    ReplyDelete