Monday, February 13, 2012

Pisa and Florence, Italy

I woke up so happy. I don't know why. The Cinque Terre was just a serious pick me up, and a nice break from the same old sights. It was warm and sunny when I woke up, and I was ready to see Italy. I packed my bag up, again, and headed out leaving yet another beautiful place behind me.

My first stop was Pisa. It was about a twenty minute walk to the square with the leaning tower in it. My heart totally skipped a beat when the tower and church came into view. The tower did not disappoint. Obviously, you know it leans because it is called the LEANING Tower of Pisa, but I don't think you understand how much this thing leans. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if it fell over tomorrow. Or today. It's got some serious lean going on...its name is no joke!! One of the best parts about the square were the dozens of people taking pictures of themselves holding up the tower. So what if I joined them and got one of my own? It's what you DO!! And it was awesome. I'm awesome.

I walked through the church. The ceiling was the best part, to me, but there is a famous pulpit that is supposedly the most significant thing in there. There were real skulls and see through coffin with a BODY in it. That was sick, as in cool.

I enjoyed just walking through Pisa. It was so warm and the sun felt SO good in my face. I would have taken my coat off, but I would have had to carry it around. The Italians were all bundled up with scarves and gloves, and I was in heaven. It was perfect weather and the Italian men are beautiful. They're even better than I was hoping. As you walk down the streets you see Pizzeria, Pizzeria, Ristorante, hot guy, Gelateria, Souvenirs, hot guy, Pizzeria! The little outdoor cafes are so cute, and I sat at one just because. A waiter came up to me and said, "Prego?" In America I would be offended and asked him if he was calling me fat, but this is Italy and Prego means you're welcome or like...can I help you? I told him no and went on my way. There are a lot of creepy older guys around so I've decided the phrase I will learn and use here in Italy is "ho una malattia contagiosa" which means, "I have a contagious disease." We'll see how it works out.

I headed back to the train station and got on my train to Florence. The trains in Italy are a piece of crap. On the way to Pisa, my headrest fell off. I have been on four trains that should have used up two of my travel days on my Eurail pass, but they haven't even checked it or stamped it. Therefore, I have two more days of trains to use...where should I go?!

I arrived in Florence and found my hostel. It is another big one. There are eight beds in my room and every bed has a girl in it. There are probably at least 200 beds in this place. The best part is that they offer free breakfast AND dinner!

I went out exploring. There are ten million churches in Florence, and I went in at least three. I wandered to Pitti Palace, just to see the outside. I saw the Ponte Vecchio which is Florence's most famous bridge. It is lined with shops built right over the Arno River. I got a nice old Italian man to take my picture. He asked me where I'm from, as most people do when they hear me talk, and I said "America." He thought that was awesome and then he proceeded to tell me that I have the prettiest eyes he's ever seen..."like sapphires" he told me as he made his hands explode in front of me. I about cried. He was the sweetest little thing I've ever met. I think he stood at that spot just so he could take people's pictures and meet them. Nice guy.

I saw the church that holds the tomb of Galileo as well as a few others that to me, look all the same. But I'm sure they're very, very different. :)

The Duomo, however, was fantastic!! I learned that it has the third largest nave in Christendom. The inside of the dome is decorated by a huge painting of The Last Judgment by two Italian guys I can't remember the name of. The Duomo was built with a big hole in the roof for the dome. They didn't have the technology to put the dome up! But then an architect invented it and it was put on.

I got to climb to the top of the dome. It was 8 euros and 463 steps to the top. I have nicknamed the dome the "Death-of-me -Stairmaster". I will be sore tomorrow, but it was so worth it! The view of Florence was just outstanding. The only thing I couldn't see was the Duomo because I was standing on it. The city goes on for miles, and the streets are so narrow that you can hardly see their paths from above. It was great. Totally great.

I saw one more church and the fake David statue before I decided to head back to the hostel. An Italian guy leaning up against his Vespa winked at me and said "Ciao!" He was too old for me and probably wanted more than gelato so I kept on walking.

I got free dinner and did some research for my trips through the Accademia and Uffizi Gallery tomorrow. I'm in for some serious artwork! I didn't make reservations so I just have to hope they have openings sometime tomorrow :/ Cross your fingers!

Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow. You bet I have a hot date...my good friend, Gelato!!
Hostel wall
Ceiling in Uffizi Gallery
Hostel
Pisa
Fake David
Leaning Tower of Pisa
Florence Duomo
View from Florence dome
People posing for pictures with the Leaning Tower
Pisa, Italy
View from Florence
Florence Duomo
Stairs up/down to the Duomo
Pitti Palace
Campanile
Leaning Tower of Pisa
Leaning Tower of Pisa
Ponte Vecchio
Florence's Duomo

1 comment:

  1. I think Italy is my fave place I've seen you go so far. That looks absolutely beautiful!
    Italians are so hot. So so hot. Not to mention I hear Italian men have a thing for American girls. Be careful!!

    ReplyDelete