Saturday, February 25, 2012

Bienvenue en France!

I slept miserably on the train. Actually, I don't think you can even call it sleep. It was burning hot then freezing cold, a chair is never comfortable to sleep in, and there was an old, deaf German couple that was SO loud! Usually I love old people, but because they were deaf they were literally yelling in German for most the train ride. I don't know what 75 year old people were doing on an overnight train anyway.

I had a two hour layover in some city called Mannheim. No idea where it is...I'm 90% sure it was in Germany though. The station was SO nice!! I was scared to death of having another Venice train station experience, but this was exactly opposite. I would have a two hour layover at the Mannheim station any day. In fact, make it four hours! There was a bakery where I got hot chocolate and a croissant. It was clean. There were SHOWERS!! (I planned ahead this time so I didn't need to use them, but man, this station is exactly what I needed in Venice) There were lots of people but they were mostly normal looking and smelling. No drugs. No homelessness. Ah..it was wonderful. I was so relieved.

I slept some on the next train and was in Paris in three hours. I immediately felt ok with French being the primary language. I understand most signs and can get the gist of some of the conversations around me. I can say merci, bonjour, and excusez-moi without worrying about the pronunciation.

I took the metro from one train station to another...Paris had like five train stations and a slick metro system. That was fun. I waited around and then two trains and four hours later I made it to Avranches. While on the train I decided I better tidy up a little you know? At least brush my teeth. So I braced myself in the bathroom as best as I could, only falling over twice as the train turned. It was an adventure and a half.

My host, Roger, was waiting for me at the train station. After meeting him, I met his dog, Veejay. The three of us headed off to the supermarket to get a few things for dinner. I like to cook, but I'm not one that can just create a recipe on a whim. I need to plan and I need a recipe so when he told me to get things I'd need for lunch/dinner the next couple days, I panicked. So what did I do? Spaghetti surprise it is. Hahaha. Then we walked by the fish and he got me a salmon and himself some cod. It had been ten minutes and I was spoiled already.

We got a few more things and then headed on "home." Roger lives at the B&B along with Veejay, Doodee (the goat), and two parakeets. Doodee had a brother named Deedoo, but he drown in the swimming pool :/ The view from the B&B is quite lovely as there is a pond just below and lovely countryside everywhere else. The whole village is secluded, and it's as if the real world doesn't exist. It truly is the most simple of lives here, and everything would be perfect if they had chickens and maybe a milk cow. Fruit trees and a vegetable garden would really be icing on the cake.

The inside of the B&B is nice, and I get a whole room, no scratch that, a whole floor of the house to myself! I'm in the attic, but it's finished and I have a nice sun window or whatever they're called. I get my own bathroom and chest of drawers and nightstand. I'm so excited to not live out of a bag/locker for two whole weeks!!

My duties here include lots of cooking and cleaning. Elise is the lady in charge of all that. She is from Avranches so it will be fun to learn some cooking from a native French lady. :) If anyone has any amazing recipes I could show off to them, please email them to me. Merci!

After getting settled, Roger boiled some potatoes while I cut vegetables and steamed them. We fried up our fish and enjoyed a delicious dinner. I can't remember the last time I was that full. I haven't eaten like that in ages. Vegetables never tasted so good.

After dinner, we had cheese. Five different kinds. And like all French people do, we relaxed and ate cheese and talked for a good twenty minutes. We would have had wine, but I let him know that I don't drink coffee, tea, or wine after his third time offering it. I will be implementing the post dinner pre dessert cheesing at home. So delicious and such a fabulous idea!

Lunch is actually the biggest meal in France, and everything closes from 12-2. A two hour lunch break! Can you believe that?? They work til seven, but still! They really seem to have great food here, and tomorrow Roger and Elise are taking me to a nice French restaurant. I'm so stoked! They are spoiling me big time.

Btw, Roger and Elise are not married. They're just business partners.

After dinner, I facetimed with ma famille and then watched the telly. Nothing really good was on, but it was American TV and it felt good to watch that after a month away. Maybe I can catch the Bachelor on Monday!

Guests will be arriving on Thursday. I will wait the tables for the dinners and set up breakfast as well as the rooms. Til then, Roger will be showing me some of the sites around here: Mont st Michel and maybe even the D day beaches! I will be doing some research on things in the area and enjoying my time in France. I can't believe I'm here. In France. So amazing!!

I will try to take more pictures soon.

4 comments:

  1. Your overnight train rides remind me so much of my many overnight train rides in Thailand...especially the bracing yourself in the bathroom while you try to make yourself presentable.

    Sounds like this will be a relaxing couple of weeks in a beautiful, laid back place. Enjoy it!

    Today we watched Sound of Music and we said, "That's where Casie was." Grace got so excited and ran to the window saying "Casie's here!" She cried for a good five minutes when we explained you weren't actually here. We'll have to be a little more careful with our comments from here on out.

    Enjoy your time in France! Glad you're getting to settle in somewhere. Let us know when you can FaceTime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...Grace!! I miss them so much!! This time away would be a whole lot easier if those two kiddos didn't exist ;)

    I hope you enjoyed the sound of music as much as I enjoyed Salzburg!! I can't wait to watch it again myself.

    Now that i've passed my "hump day" home seems much closer, and I can't wait to play with M & G and tell you all about my trip and show you all the fun things I have/have learned. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enfin!! Le pays d'amour! Je suis excite a ecouter tes histoires a France!
    Le vin rouge a France et tres delicieux. Le fromage est tres bon, j'aime le fromage!

    Ok, enough French. But like I really was saying above, French wine is notorious for being the best in the whole wide world. If you wanted to bring me home some for "cooking" purposes I would let you.... Haha. Just kidding.. Kind of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad I can't take liquids in containers larger than 4 oz! I won't even try it for you to let you know how it is :( Haha. You're just going to have to come see for yourself.

      Delete