Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ten hour train rides are my favorite

Not. :)

I slept well in the creepy house even though I had my under armor long johns, leg warmers, sweats, and coat on. I paid €2.50 for a crappy breakfast of rolls with jam and hot chocolate. I hope it was hot chocolate. They list things like, "tea, chocolate, coffee..." but sometimes I think they might be saying, "tea, chocolate coffee..." so I fear I am drinking chocolate coffee. Haha. It's good, whatever it is :/

Today was a travel day so I don't have much to say. Nine hours of train riding sounds miserable, but it was actually quite nice to be able to sit back and relax. The first train left Fussen at 11:05. There were two transfers. I arrived in Interlaken at 8:30 pm.

I spent my time reading my Rick Steves guidebook, planning my little more than a week in Italy. I might do a cooking class in Florence...how awesome would that be?! It's pricey, of course, so tonight I will try to finish looking at my other planned expenses and see if I feel okay to go ahead and book it. I'll probably do it considering the fact that it really seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity, and it's something I would love! Oh and it would be delicious. :) I told myself to not worry too much about money. I'm super frugal so it has been hard to spend on money on expensive fun stuff, but I'm in Europe and need to live a little.
With that said, anyone know of any hospital CNA jobs up north? Preferably the Ogden area. Preferably McKay Dee. :)

My reading got me worried about Venice since Rick Steves was saying the maps are worthless, street names usually only resemble the names on the maps, and street names often randomly change halfway through. I think I have time to spend a whole day wandering though :)

I also am scared for Rome because it's pickpocketers central. I will be paranoid the whole time. I'm mostly worried about my precious iPod which is my lifeline to the Europe as well as to home. It's my camera and my notebook. I'm most worried about it because I always have it in my pocket or hand. I'll have to be more careful. Maybe my armband will finally be used!!

I'm very, very excited to escape the freezing cold for a while in Italy! It's going to be soooo great!

I think it might be time to send a package home, but I don't know how much that would cost...I want to make a scrapbook of my trip so I've been keeping the millions of brochures and ticket stubs I have collected. I try to go through and thin it out, but it's no use, and it's heavy. My magnet collection, a tunic, and some things I don't use would also be going along with hopefully some Swiss chocolate. :) I'll have to look into it. Sorry, i'm thinking out loud.

One more thinking out loud thought: My feet hurt. It feels like the balls of my feet are bruised. I fear I might wear a hole right through the bottom of my boot. The boots have been awesome by the way. They'll be coming home destroyed, but they're withstanding the elements (snow, rain, slush, mud) very well. My leg money bag has been fantastic as it just hides under my boot. I don't even realize it's there which could be a bad thing if one day it's NOT there...

I have started Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, and it's been awesome because I was riding on a train in Germany reading about people riding trains in Germany. Now that I know where things are and what it's like, I could totally picture and understand the story!

I got lost trying to find my hostel in Interlaken. What else is new? It's a really, really big one, and it's super nice. The signs in the bathroom made me laugh. There are families with kids staying here, and a whole bunch of Asians. Again, what else is knew?
It's an Asian invasion I tell you!

I have surprise plans in the morning. Check back tomorrow to see what's going down. It's sure to be AWESOME!!!

6 comments:

  1. A new adventure every day....right! So so fun!!! It's good to be frugal, but don't let it rob you of awesome opportunity. You may never get the chance again to do some of the things you have the opportunity to do now. Take advantage of that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I try to tell myself when I have to decide! I'm a saver, not a spender so it's hard but will definitely be worth it in the end!

      Delete
  2. have fun on those surprise plans ;) i have kept my mouth shut but i must say i am super excited for what you are doing!

    le question...dans les alps, est-ce que les gens parlent les francais souvent? est-ce que tu souvens le langue? mon classe de francais lisons ton blog.. ils pensent c'est tres bon!
    mon prof pense c'est tres deficile trouver les amis dans l'Europe. bonne chance!les gens sont impolis! bonne chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited too!! Votre français est très bien!! I'm impressed, and I'll be wishing you were here come March. I can read French fairly well and get a good idea of what's being said but most of it has left me unfortunately. I could not speak it to save my life...well, maybe to safe my life, but that's about it. I don't blame the Europeans for hating Americans/tourists except that I give them (the mean ones that I've talked to) a job so they can shut the heck up! In Austria, they spoke German. I'm sure it's a different dialect or something than actual Germany. Here in Switzerland, I have not yet had much experience outside of the train station and hostel, but I'm pretty sure most locals speak German and French or a mix of both. The ticket lady on the train would say Guten tag and Merci in the same sentence to the same person. It seemed like Spanglish only gerench or something. Deutchais! Haha. I'm excited fur French as it is a much prettier language than German. First I have to tackle Italian which will be hard since I've never even heard Italian. I wish I would have learned the languages before coming, bit I also think that the only way I could learn to speak them fluently and comprehend them would be to LIVE here.

      Delete
  3. Do the cooking class-you won't regret it. When my parents came to Thailand, we debated on doing one or not-we weren't sure about spending the time or money on it but it was AWESOME. Like you said, when else are you going to get a chance to do an Italian cooking class IN ITALY?!

    Glad you're reading Unbroken-such a good one! I'm starting Sea Biscuit by the same author next.

    We look forward to tomorrow's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I think I'll do it. Let me know how Seabiscuit is because I might need one more book after Unbroken for the long train rides. :)

      Delete