Monday, February 27, 2012

Surprise visitor

Bonjour mes amis!! I had another beyond lovely day en France. First of all, I woke to an email showing a confirmed round trip plane ticket to/from Paris. This ticket belongs to none other than MON PERE!! Say what?! My dad is coming here. To France. How amazing/awesome/crazy is that?! I guess my last post was very convincing...or he just took it too seriously. Either way, my dad is coming, and I couldn't be happier!!

I felt very awkward/embarrassed about telling Roger that I had accidentally recruited another guest. After scrambled eggs (Roger's favorite) and explaining that my dad was the handiest handy man he'd ever meet, Roger was excited about it and is letting my dad stay for free if he fixes up the yard. He wants a patio and fence fixed...psh...my dad could do that with his eyes closed. So yes, my dad had joined the workaway program. It will be just like home where I am his assistant for various around the house projects. I will also be doing my regular cooking/cleaning B&B duties. We will be able to go to Mont St Michel as well as the D day beaches so that will be awesome too!! We will spend the second half of his trip in Paris! He is the perfect sightseeing buddy, and I can't wait to see him on the Champs Elysees with his beret. Or better yet, he will be fully equipped with his US Postal Service jersey waving an American flag at the imaginary Tour de France cyclists.

So today I went to the store with Roger and Elise. They go to the store at least twice a week, usually more. They expected me to cook dinner so they bought the ingredients I'd need for that as well as food for the next couple days.

Elise showed me how to make up the rooms, and I started cleaning straight away. I've said this before, but I'm really like my own version of "If you give a mouse a cookie," but mine is "If you give Casie a Clorox wipe." Once I start cleaning, I can't stop. Especially when there's SO much to clean!! I have six rooms to get ready by Thursday. I only got one done today. Every room has a bathroom and most rooms have two bedrooms.

I had to quit cleaning to cook dinner. I made one of my favorite chicken recipes. Here is the link to it:

http://casiecooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/coconut-chicken-with-apricot-sauce.html?m=1

It's really, really intimidating to cook for these people since they quite literally LIVE for good food. Not just good, good food. Lucky for me, they really enjoyed the chicken and rice as well as the vegetables I roasted in the oven (with the exception of the carrots being too hard). I was so relieved. Elise made dessert and it was really good. She's supposedly quite the chef. I will be trying some of her food this weekend, but I was really flattered when both she and her fiancée asked for the recipe for the chicken. Huge sigh of relief...success! I'd like to thank me mum for teaching me both how to cook and clean. I owe it all to you, although you've never made this chicken before. You should try it out!

I sewed some cushions on the couch while we watched some cricket. That was interesting. I'm amazed that these people don't know how to use a needle and thread. I like roger except that he talks a lot and he's the most helpless man I've ever met. I loaded the dishwasher tonight, and he went to close it but a pan handle on the bottle shelf was sticking up too high...I had to walk all the way over there to adjust it so he could close it. All he had to do was move the handle down a little bit. Sounds stupid, but I'm just trying to give you an example of how helpless the poor guy is. If he was willing to clean, he wouldn't need so much help! He's just very dependent on others, but he's a great guy nonetheless.

Tomorrow I have a lot of cleaning to do, but we're going to Villidieu to see some sights and the local market mid morning. Should be lovely! I never used to say lovely. I totally picked that up over here. It's just a good word to describe things. Try it out.

Oh, I found out that the goats name is Bobaa, not Doodee. I totally like Doodee better so I'm still going to call her that. I feel like such an idiot!! Haha.

I didn't take any picture today! I'm sorry!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like it is beautiful over there. I am so glad your dad is going to join you. That will be so fun. I am not at all surprised by it. I'm sure Roger and Elise will love the extra help. Now if only I could figure out a way for Alex and I to join you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems I have the accommodations if you could just get a flight :) Wouldn't that be awesome?!

    ReplyDelete