Saturday, March 3, 2012

Working Around the Clock

Running a B&B is a round the clock job. We wake up at 7:00 to set up tables and pick up bread from the bakery. We let the goat out. The guests eat and we make them coffees and teas and get them whatever else they want. We clean up the mess from all that and then go shopping for those that will be eating dinner that night. We come home and prepare lunch, eat it, and clean it up. Then, we clean the rooms of those that checked out as well as anything else that needs cleaning (which is everything). We then have about half an hour to an hour to rest or work outside. Today, I rested. Yesterday, I worked outside. By now it is six I clock and it's time to feed the goat and put it back in its pen. Then it's time to prepare dinner and set up tables for dinner. Then we serve dinner...all four courses. We serve them wine and coffee. Then we clean up dinner, the dining room, and the kitchen. By now we've loaded/unloaded the dishwasher about four times. Then we walk the dog. Then we facetime. Then we blog. Then we go to bed. It's crazy! (When I say we, I mostly mean me)

One of the guests here is Belgian and he speaks pretty good English. Every day, he teaches me new words. Today we went over the days of the week and the months of the year. He is always pleased when I use French words and applauded me when I said "finit?" after dinner. He's great!

My parents and sister facetimed with me to 1. Show me my dad wearing his beret getting all ready to come to France and 2. To read me my acceptance letter to WSU'a nursing program! I have been waiting a year for that moment! I feel so relieved, and I'm excited to actually move forward in school. Hooray!!!

Another busy day tomorrow...can't wait!

5 comments:

  1. Papa est tres intellegient dans le chapeau. Il est jusqu'a francais!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Alex. So this is my first time writing a comment but I have been reading your blog for the whole trip. This sounds challenging but the real world experience compared to the tourist experience is much better. It was like the real world experience in Mexico where we had to walk miles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad must've bugged you about writing since I casually told him you were ye only one I hadn't heard from. I know you're not much of a writer, so it's totally fine! :) it's nice to hear from you now, and you're absolutely right. The experiences here will be just as memorable as walking what felt like miles in high heels in the backstreets of Mexico, promising myself that I would never go on a mission. Haha. I'm learning many things that will be useful forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting into the nursing program. That is so awesome!! I am so excited for you. I'm glad you will be living closer. Now hopefully we stay somewhere close so we can see you often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Susan!! I'm excited about it. You guys better stay close or I'll be absolutely and officially heart broken. Dirst J&V, now you? No way. How am I supposed to be an aunt you guys?! Come on!! Haha.

    ReplyDelete