Thursday, March 29, 2012

Back to real life

Well, I'm home. My trip is over. It's time to start real life again. Here are some random closing thoughts about traveling/my travels:

The biggest difference between Europe and America that I noticed upon arriving in Atlanta, Georgia was the friendliness of the people. Americans are SO much friendlier!! I didn't talk to many people on the trains/metros/buses I rode in Europe. Everyone just wears their headphones and stares at the ground. I talked to at least 10 people in the Atlanta airport, and it was great conversation. Plus, we all spoke English! Yay!

Traveling is really a magical thing. It's so rewarding and something great to save up for. I'll never stop traveling.

If you want to see all of Europe...stick to the mainland. England/Scotland/Ireland/Wales are a trip in and of themselves. Everything is different across the water. I have to go back just to go to Ireland/Scotland, and I could have saved a lot of time/money by saving Bath/London for then! 

Don't be scared. I just spent two months in Europe BY MYSELF. I was never in danger. 

Growing up in Utah kept me very sheltered from the world (both good and bad). I knew nothing of the real world because I have only known the Mormon culture. Before I left, there were Mormons and non Mormons, and Mormons were the majority. After seeing/meeting a million people, I realize just how many people there are in the world. THERE ARE A TON! And even with a TON of people, no one is the same. Every single person is unique. It's amazing!

There are bad people, and there are good people that do bad things. They don't do bad things to be rebellious. Usually, they just do "bad" things because it's how they were raised. It's just what they do. They see no wrong in it, and I don't blame them. I'm so glad I was raised in the church and have chosen to fill my life with things of the gospel. What a happy life I live!

The Eurail pass was great, but I wish I would have known just how much the extra costs would be. The $750 pass turned into about $1000. I probably would have reorganized my travel plans so that I didn't have to spend so much on transportation. I had a 15 day travel pass and only ended up using 12 days (granted, I didn't know my dad would be coming to France with a car...).  

Don't do a workaway unless it's something you're really interested in.  I just wanted to see the sights, so spending time in a workaway got boring and annoying. I met awesome people and made forever friends, but the sights were my favorite part. I did like living a French/German/English lifestyle for a little bit though. I couldn't have done longer than 2 weeks in any one location though. I just wanted to move on.

Don't ever panic. Everything will always be ok. There is always another way, train, plane, hostel, etc. You are most important. Any THING can be replaced so don't worry about it. Just enjoy yourself while you travel.

Be brave. Go for it. Do it. Take advantage of every once in a lifetime opportunity. 

Watch out for pickpockets!

Read a few good guidebooks before going on your trip. Just because they give a museum 4 stars doesn't mean you have to visit the museum. Visit what interests you. 

Laugh.

Put down the map (unless you're somewhere like Paris).

Just sit sometimes. Just sit and people watch.

Make your dreeeammmss come truuuueeee!!

Pack light. Buy as you go.

Okay, that's all. I have jobs to apply for, people to see, and sleep to catch up on! Thanks again for following along. I had a GREAT time!

1 comment: