Tuesday, March 6, 2012

He has arrived!!

It was nice to sleep in this morning since there are no guests at the B&B. After breakfast, I made a grocery list and we went to the store. I got everything I'd need for three days worth of lunches, dinners, and desserts. I cleaned the house and started working on the patio outside.

Right when I was about to take a break, a car pulled up and my dad had arrived!!! It was only about 3:30. He was fast! I'm glad I didn't have to worry. I gave him a big hug and realized how very, very much I've missed him. I was even more happy than I thought I would be to have him be here with me in France. Now this really feels like a dream!

He said he slept about ten minutes on the plane. He got up to walk after every movie. He didn't say so, but i'm pretty sure he was freaked out when he landed in Paris. The car rental provided no map, no gps, and his phone wasn't working. He had printed out a mapquest from Paris to the B&B and that's the only way he made it here. He only stopped once on the drive to buy a bottled water, and this seems to be his favorite experience so far...the cashier spoke to him in French, and he kindly said, "I don't understand a word you're saying." She said, "Oh, pardon!" and not another word. I told him that she didn't understand a word he said either and that he should just say "English" and they seem to understand. :)

I showed him some of the yard and introduced him to Roger and Elise. I showed him his room and the rest of the B&B. We had a chat about the jobs they want him to do outside, and ten I showed him all the jobs. He is pretty amazed at how dumpy the yard is, and he would have a ball fixing everything up. Too bad the things he sees need fixing aren't even on their to do list. They don't have a lot of money, help, or time, and the yard isn't the #1 priority so it's just kinda...well...like I said, dumpy. He has plenty of work to do, as do I!

We went into Avranches to have a look around. We visited a nice park with a great view of the countryside and Mont St Michel. The area is not as rural ad my dad thought it would be, but it's still pretty country. We walked to the Patton memorial where I got a picture on a big army tank. I tried to take a picture of my dad but he refused. He better not be like that in Paris or I'll get mad.

We got lost for 45 minutes on the way home. :/ We didn't get back until around 7, and I still had to make dinner an dessert! I made salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, and pepper/mushroom kebabs. My dad cut up the mushrooms/peppers for me and after a week of zero help in the kitchen, it was seriously SO nice to have him offer and be able to do it. Even if Roger were nice enough to offer, he wouldn't be able to help. We ate at around 8:15. We had brownies/ice cream for dessert, and I practiced my plating skills and garnished with raspberry sauce and raspberries. It was pretty, and I should have taken a picture so you could see my mad skills. Roger complimented the meal multiple times so that's good...I think my frantic cooking freaked my dad out a little, but I also think he was maybe a little surprised that I did such a random dish all on my own.

It was 9 when we finished, and my dad was barely staying awake through all of Roger's boring stories. He is extremely jet lagged to the point of dizziness and probably nausea. He went straight to bed. I will probably have him "guest post" tomorrow or the next day. I remember my first night after the awful flight, and it was bad. I went to bed early and woke up feeling better so hopefully it's the same for him. We shall see!

I stayed up and made tiramisu for dessert tomorrow night. I used the recipe that my Italian boyfriend, excuse me, husband taught me. They turned out very pretty so let's hope they taste alright. I made the marinade for the pork we'll be eating tomorrow night and unloaded/loaded the dishwasher before catching the last five minutes of the Arsenal v Milan football game.

Now I'm going to bed. Dad and I will talk to you tomorrow! Bon soir!

5 comments:

  1. Dad said he wasn't feeling good before he left, but he thought it was nerves. Anyway, hopefully a good night's sleep will take care of him. Is he in the attic too or does he have a guest room?

    Things are quiet here at home. Chickens still are laying only three eggs. I've checked out their bottoms and they seem to be fine, but it's just kind of weird that we're only getting three eggs.

    Have dad check his email. I sent him an email.

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better Papa! & let C take some pics of you for heaven's sake!!! :) bonne chance avec le jardin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad he made it there okay. Hope he feels better in the morning. You guys could just open your own B&B-you can cook and clean, your dad can take care of the maintenance & finances. Your mom could take care of the small army of animals you'd have on the property so that your guests could have fresh eggs and milk. You'd all be in your comfort zone and using your strengths!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad thinks the chickens are fine...the collecting times just make it look like they're only laying three. I'm sure he was sick cause of nerves and jet lag. Even after an only ok nights sleep he is feeling better. No thanks on the B&B Vanessa. I'd rather die than cook and clean like this for the rest of my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked on the internet about the chickens. Sometimes they stop laying with the change of seasons or when they are molting. It is definately not the timing though. I let more than 24 hours go by before collecting eggs both days and there were still only three. It is one of the black ones that is not laying as every day I get two dark eggs and one light. Anyway, I'm hoping it's just a weather thing.

    It will be interesting at the B&B in England if you have the same experience. I'm wondering if this is just how life is lived when you run a B & B or if it's Roger and Elise that make it so hard. I definately have too much wanderlust in me to stay put running a B & B, even if it was taking care of sweet animals. I would go nuts! I need a job that lets me get away from day to day routine and see new and different places. Why oh why can't that kind of job just fall in my lap?!

    ReplyDelete