Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bath, UK

Woke up, ran, showered, and ate toast and eggs...the working part of my day consisted of cleaning up the kitchen, cleaning up the living room with Kari, and cleaning up the floor of the room I painted yesterday. That took all of two or three hours and then she set me loose to do whatever.

So, I rode into town with Rob. It was weird to sit on the other left side of the car and not drive. I did the free walking tour of Bath. I learned about the Roman Baths and the Medieval Baths. Basically, Bath is called Bath for a reason. In the 800's, the Romans used the hot springs to make Baths. 500 years later, those baths were totally buried and new baths were made very close to the Roman ones. They were there for 300 years before they discovered the Roman baths right next to them. Crazy!

We got to see one of the medieval baths. The water level is about five sheet lower than it used to be so we could see the seats and steps and hooks on the wall.

We learned about some of the architecture in Bath. There are windows bricked up from when they had a window tax if you had more than six windows. We saw the royal crescent where the rich people would live as well as the Circus which is a perfectly circular little neighborhood. It has the same diameter as the outer circle of Stonehenge! We walked down the path the rich people would take to town and saw one of Jane Austen's five houses in Bath. We walked through the assembly rooms where they had dances too.

There was so much to see! It was a nice tour, and I really like Bath!

I returned home to an empty house as the kids weren't home from school yet (they don't get home until six! Late huh?!) and Rob and Kari went to the spa (which uses the hot water from the spring). I ate leftover grilled chicken and salad which I made yesterday, cleaned the kitchen again, and watched Rumour Has It. It was good. I sat around, got ready for bed, and now I'm watching TV.

As you can tell, this has been my most boring workaway. I am counting down the days til London (3!!). I think I will survive here, but it will be hard. Haha. I think I'll try a new lasagna recipe tomorrow. I'll have to buy the ingredients myself since they have nothing at the house, but that's ok. Anything to keep me busy...


2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your workaway is kind of boring.... but at least you are bored in a foreign country with some sites to see. We are counting down the days too but more for when we get to see you again. Enjoy the rest of your stay in Bath. I hope something exciting happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got caught up before you even made it to your final destination! Wow-it would've been interesting to witness all that has happened in that one little place-sounds like Bath has a really interesting history and much that they have no record of. We're getting very excited to see you! Matthew and I were talking about next week and I mentioned you and he said, "Wait a minute...did you say Casie?! She's in Europe." When I explained that you are coming home he was so excited. Enjoy your last few days in Bath and have fun in London--that will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete