Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mont St Michel 2

After showering this morning, I went in to dad's room to see if he was alive. He was, thank goodness, but he told me he didn't sleep well because he was freezing and also dehydrated and therefore got cramps throughout the night. A bad night's sleep wasn't what his jet lag needed :/ He only ate a banana for breakfast because it was 2 in the morning for him. It had still been over 12 hours since he'd eaten, but whatever!

We burned a huge pile of branches today. That's really all we did..it doesn't sound like much, but the pile was huge. I raked the bowling court it whatever it is and dad trimmed a bush and burned it. We took a break at noon to email (dad) and make lunch (me). While we were eating, it started to pour and it steadily came down for about an hour. We weren't going to get any yard work done in the rain, so we decided to go to Mont St Michel.

We were both so tired. I had no excuse, but he obviously does. When we stopped working we got real tired. We yawned and yawned on the drive to Mont St Michel, but once we got there and climbed up the millions of stairs we woke up again.

Oh, I forgot to mention that we filled up with gas and it was about $80 for one tank! Dad asked me like three times if the price was in euros. He also didn't know that they pay per liter..so he needed to times the advertised price by four to get the euros per gallon. Since that felt like a billion dollars, we decided to skip the six euro parking fee and pilgrimage from the mainland to the island. In the pouring rain. And mud. We felt like truly dedicated pilgrims though we did not know the exact purpose of our pilgrimage. Tredge on!!

We walked through some shops, enjoyed some nice views (minus the clouds), and went in the church. When I came with Roger we didn't go inside so I was really excited! It was really, really cool inside! We got to see what felt like dozens of rooms and chapels...the Harry Potter courtyard (I swear it was filmed there), and some of the prison (the abbey was a prison for a while). There were secret doors and passageways everywhere, and there were twelve foot by six foot chimneys built into several of the rooms. We saw a wheel that prisoners used to walk on like hamsters in order to pull their provisions up from below on a pulley cart sort of thing. Dad got a picture in the St Etienne chapel :)

Side note: Dad sucks at speaking French. He couldn't even read "suite" right and we use that word in English. He is probably just pretending..right??

When we left, the weather had improved and we retook our pictures with the island. We walked the 2 km back to the car and headed back "home". We both really liked Mont St Michel. Dad's jokes were by far the best part. I need to start writing them down.

Dad worked in the garden while I made dinner. Well, tried to make dinner. I have zero experience cooking big things of meat. I've watched Elise and she just throws it in the oven with a little water for like 40 minutes. So I had marinated it overnight, it was smelling good, I threw it in the oven and took it out after 45 minutes...it hadn't cooked at all. Like, at all. The potatoes were roasted and the veggie's were steamed so I was frustrated. Dad suggested I just cut them and fry them so I did and it saved a load of time. Good thing he was there to save me! Then he left to email and I overcooked them. My first pork experience was a failure but we made do. The tiramisu I made was good..I used the recipe from my Italian cooking class :)

Dad had to work some more after dinner.  He pointed out that he's never really had a vacation...he always works even while he's away anywhere...including FRANCE! One of the cons of technology I guess.  :(  We're now watching Master Chef with Roger. Dad is really trying to get used to the time difference, but he's tired. Real tired.

I will now let my dad post a little bit to let you know his thoughts about France, Mont St Michel, Roger, and whatever else he'd like to include:

DAD:  Greetings from France!

I see that Casie posted a few things about my trip yesterday but I do need to clarify a few things:

-  travel was a nightmare...no way am I going to admit that I was scared but when I found my phone would not work and the Hertz counter did not have any maps I seriously wondered if I should just go back into the airport and catch the next flight home.  I really can't believe I found Casie!

-  women already flirting with me...you may have read about my experience with the girl at the gas station from Casie but I need to explain further.  I approached the checkout stand and this cute, young, French girl immediately started talking with me.  I am pretty certain that she was commenting on my biceps in a flattering manner and of course everything was in French.  I can tell you she was impressed with me because not only was she talking with me but she was also pointing to a "power bar" display that was right there at the checkout spot.  Some may say that she was simply trying to sell me a power bar, but I think she was asking if I used the power bars.  As was mentioned I just gave her a big smile and told her I had no idea what she was talking about.  I am sure one of many young French girls I will need to tell that I am happily married!  I love you dear and miss you!

-  I like Roger...but it is so awkard staying in soimeone else's "home"...he does need a lot fo help and this became a bit of a service project.  I hope we can leave here with Roger feeling he is better off after our stay.

-  $80 for a tank of gas!!!  Are you kidding me!  This was a small good gas mileage car.  Add that price to the 20 euro tolls I paid yesterday and you can see why most people travel by train...

-  no suburbans...no 4 wheel drive trucks...lots of BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis...lots of small cars

-  Mont St Michel was very cool...definately haunted becasue it is so old and was once a prision in addiiton to the monestary...

-  yes...I have never had a vacation whewre I was not working...mobile devices, wireless, laptops, all make it so we are in constant contact...an 8 hour time zone difference makes things tricky...

-  I am VERY tired!!!!!!!

"or a vaw"...I mean, au revoir...
in St Etienne
Etienne in St Etienne
There are dead bodies down there, I swear!
The human hamster wheel
The track that the pulley comes up
"Sootay"
Harry Potter right?
Hamster wheel
Inside they have left some of the natural rockery to show how the buildings are built right into the rock
Harry Potter courtyard
Cloudy...Dad's first views of Mont St Michel
Fireplace
Dad was in awe at this candle cause it's a a REAL candle

4 comments:

  1. Dad, I guarantee she was hitting on you!! My French teacher (who is French) was saying how French women find big burly Americans VERY attractive, probably due to the fact that they never see any.
    Also, I will have you know after we texted a bit this morning (afternoon in your case) I found I was quite missing you (which is funny, not living at home means I don't see any of the fam very often...I think just knowing you're far away is making me sad!) So, I am now taking a break from my homework, & listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" on vinyl in your honor. I hope your jet lag goes away soon :/

    Ceeb no big deal on the meat. Just yesterday Luke tried to make a pork roast & it was pretty much a huge fail. So even "master chefs" can mess up big meat :D

    Mon pere, vous serez heureux pour savoir votre telephone travaille dans le France! je traduirai pour toi la prochaine fois en francophone vous parle.
    I guess I will throw in a translation, for your own benefit: You will be happy to know your phone does work in France! I will translate for you the next time a french speaker hits on you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great update. Our little family with Jason reading along with us were all in tears imagining all of these events playing out. I have to admit the best part of the blog was the first picture you posted of Steve in France was him peeing on the castle that you were visiting. We all kept looking at the picture and couldn't believe you would post him peeeing but you are in France - C'est la Vie. Jet lag is great and after a day or so Steve will be running. Jason loved the story about the Power Bar and Allie was laughing about the cost of filling up your car. We can't wait to hear about your visit to Chad. Hope you can take a picture or two with our good son. Wish we could be there but looking forward to meeting up in London in a few weeks it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just think it is so funny that even on vacation in FRANCE the two of you are doing yard work together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig and family, he was not peeing!! He was peeking up one of the many creepy holes!!! You're totally right though. It does look like he is peeing. Whoops...

    Vanessa, it never ends! I guess we just always have to do what we do best! It really is exactly like at home. I stand around and find him all the tools he needs when he asks. :)

    ReplyDelete