Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Smell Dead People

We had another wonderful day in Paris. Today we started in the Pere Lachaise Cemetery which is about a mile from our apartment.
 
Pretty much this gets it's own post just so I can title it "I smell dead people" cause the graveyard really smelt like dead people. I know what they smell like. I've worked with cadavers.
 
The cemetery was huge (110 acres)...biggest I've ever seen. The headstones were huge...biggest I've ever seen. Families had their own little memorial houses, and there were statues and monuments throughout.
 
This cemetery is famous because of all the famous people that are buried inside.

Here are the graves we saw:

Georges Seurat...Painter

Eugene Delacroix...Painter


Jim Morrison graffiti..on the headstone in front of his...

Jim Morrison's grave...probably the most visited

Jim Morrison

There were many statues of women crying throughout the cemetery. It made me so sad..

Monuments and headstones



Vincenzo Bellini...Italian composer




Frederic Chopin...Polish pianist and composer


Monument to the Dead

The biggest headstone we saw

Gioacchino Rossini...Italian composer


Rows and rows of tombs
Other famous people buried there (but we were too lazy to find) include Georges Bizet, Ettore Bugatti, Camille Pissaro, Marcel Proust, Gertrude Stein, and Oscar Wilde.

So cool!

 

1 comment:

  1. I love that Jim Morrison's grave has flowers all over it. I would love to visit that!!!
    Come on baby light my fire....

    ReplyDelete