Monday, January 30, 2012

Workaway in Schweinfurt, Germany

I arrived in Wurzburg, used the WC for .50 euro, found a map, and explored a little bit. I will be going back so I'll post about Wurzburg later this week.

I returned to the station and got a buttered pretzel for a snack. I will et a brat while in Germany...i just wasn't ready for it. I got on the 17:07 train to Schweinfurt. It was just a thirty minute ride. Emma, my hostess, was to be picking me up at 17:40.

I had told her that I would be wearing a big red backpack and she also had seen pictures on my workaway profile. I had no idea what to look for. For twenty minutes I paced the station asking myself what the heck I was doing here. I started making a plan of what to do if she never showed up. By about 18:00 I was getting really worried and wanted to go home. :(

At about 18:10, a woman approached me and said, "Ah! Big red backpack!" she proceeded to apologize and said it had been a crazy weekend. In fact, she didn't stop talking until we got to her home, about a ten minute drive.

The family is from England. Aaron, the dad, works on the Czech border and is gone Monday-Friday. Emma, the mom, teaches English. She works with a variety of businesses. There are four boys: Cameron (12), Arlie (7), Jonah (4), and Darwin (2.5). They're all cute, but they're all crazy. Cameron stayed home sick from school so he's here with me today during the day. There are five dogs: Maya (BIG black German Shepard), Pax, Nil, Tafi, and Bob (all little terriers). Nil had six puppies on Saturday, and they are cute as can be!! The house is cute, a disaster, but cute. My room is the nicest but probably just because it's the cleanest. I like the door knobs here...they're like the front doors at home, but every door has one. That was random, sorry.

I arrived at the house and met everyone. We had pizza for dinner, and while the parents were downstairs or something, I was eating with the three youngest in the kitchen. They got CRAZY, and the dogs ended up eating more pizza than the humans did. I did not want to tell them no because I don't know if that's appropriate or not...

I did a bunch of dishes because their dishwasher broke yesterday. I kinda got carried away and started cleaning the whole kitchen. Emma asked me if cleaning was therapeutic for me...haha. It totally is!!

I sat around in the kitchen with the dogs and Emma for a while. Aaron sat on the couch and drank beer and yelled at the kids. Haha. The 2.5 year old showered by himself which I though was both weird and dangerous.

Did you know that it's against the law to NOT recycle here in Germany?? Paper. Glass. Aluminum. Plastic. And even food scraps!! It all must be recycled. They have five recycling bins here.

I went up to my room at about 8 I clock and got settled in. I slept well, and since I was told my services were not needed until the evenings, I slept in until 8:45.

I took a shower in the shower with no shower curtain. I got ready and then cleaned the bathroom as best as I could. I finally came downstairs at about 10. Emma left me a note telling me to help myself to breakfast an ten just a few things i need to ge sone today. Cameron showed me the puppies and around the house. I did a million dishes and emailed Chris in South Africa. We both found it weird that it was day for the both of us since it hasn't been that way for a long, long time. Cameron has been keeping the fire going cause it's freezing and there is no heater.

That's where I'm at now!! I have to take lunches to the two youngest at kindergarten and also pick them up this afternoon. It's within walking distance, thank goodness, because I cannot drive manual very well.

Tomorrow I think i'll head back to Wurzburg during the day.

5 comments:

  1. Casie, We have loved getting caught up on your adventure through this blog. We have read through it from London, Bruges, Bruxelles, Amsterdam to your arrival in Germany. Allie, Melanie and I loved remembering our time in Bruges, Bruxelles and Amsterdam and laughed so hard as we had so many of the same experiences and thoughts as you did in each of those beautiful cities. We didn't realize we could make a comment so now that we have figured that out we will be throwing out a few comments through out your trip. We wish we could have figured out how to comment back when your were in Belgium or Holland but all is well. By Safe, Enjoy every minute of every day. Craig & Melanie and our little Texas Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading guys!! Thanks for all the suggestions as well-they were all very helpful in making my visits there great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so much like home! Puppies everywhere and non stop dishes! Sounds like home to me. Thank goodness we don't have crazy kids though....hope you survive the week with that. I'm sure they do things differently there including parenting (letting the 2 year old shower himself).

    Your welcome for handing down to you OCD that makes it so you literally cannot function in disorder!

    Enjoy life in Germany for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so much like home but so not!! It makes me even more home sick to be here because I want MY home...not theirs. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever someone is arguing, I clean. Whenever I am preoccupied, I clean. I think it is in the Kearl blood to be weird like that. Sounds like a rambunctious house!

    ReplyDelete