Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Eurostar

January 25, 2012

Before i talk about the eurostar...there are a few things i noticed about in london. They don't say/have signs that say exit, restrooms, or elevator...theirs say "way out," "toilets," and "lift." Also, I was surprised that no one was staring at me.

The Eurostar train left on time...10:57am. I had a window seat next to a kind, tired older man. It was a weird sensation on that train. There were lots of dark tunnels and my ears were painfully popping for the first half hour. The whole ride was two hours. I passed out for about half of it. Whoever invents teleportation will be my hero as well as a billionaire. I'm really sick of loading/unloading and it's only been like 36 hours.

Exploring London and people watching was definitely the highlight of today. That is the fun stuff that i need to get to. But anyway...

The Eurostar arrived in Brussels at 14:05. I went to an information booth to ask about a train to Bruges. He directed me where I needed to go. The lady that then helped me was wretched. She wouldn't even listen to me or look at me...so I ended up paying 13.50 euros for a train ticket I have already bought a $750 pass for. But whatever. I get the feeling that European women are meeeeaaaan. Two for two. I wandered to the deck or whatever it is called. Brussels was cold!! I broke out my mittens and waited for the train.

The train was super nice like the front runner. I accidentally sat in first class so when the ticket lady stamped my ticket she said, "parlez vous le francais?" I replied with "eh...un peu. Anglais s'il vous plait." then she told me, in English, to move to second class. It was legit.

I don't even entertain myself on these train rides. I just look out the widow. It's pretty. Oh, and dad, I saw a couple chicken coops with chickens. :)

I was hungry and sick and tired at this point, but I chugged on. I arrived in Bruges and bought a 1.50 euros bus ticket to the city center. I ended up getting off at the first stop because I didn't know where I was going and would rather walk. So I walked and I came across some pretty alleys and buildings. I found the city center (there's a huge bell tower...it's not hard to find haha). I walked in circles for probably thirty minutes trying to find my hostel. I finally found it and got my stuff in my locker and went potty. The w/c's (water closets) cost money here. It's the most unfortunate thing evers..my little bladder isn't going to like it.

There were lots of people out shopping at the millions of shops here in Bruges, but I haven't heard any English with the exception of the guy at the hostel. I feel very...alienated. It's kinda cool to be a minority though.

It has been misty rainy all evening. I like it except that my pictures are bad.

I went and got dinner at a little Belgian frites place. I got a fish burger. I drank my bottled water with a straw and ate my fries with a fork. It was weird. It tasted good though!

I did some more wandering and now I'm back at the hostel. I will be sleeping on the top bunk in a room with five other girls. Tomorrow i have to move to a co ed room with seven girls/guys. Tonight is beer tasting night. Drink five get the sixth one free. Good thing I'm so tired I could crash right now and sleep til morning (it's 6:30 pm). Haha. There are ten others lounging "with me" at the moment.

I am ever so grateful for the kind words and love and support and comfort from my family and friends. I have zero confidence right now, but y'all are keeping me going. It will get better once I settle and see some cool things!!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! It will get better when you get to your families that you are working for. It can be so lonely when there's no one to talk to or no one to understand your language, let alone your insecurities. You are so brave and I'm so stinkin' proud to be your mom!

    ReplyDelete