Sunday, January 29, 2012

Overnight Train to Munich

I got to the train station around 19:00 for my 19:41 overnight train to Munich. At about 19:30 someone/something over the intercom said it was delayed TWO hours! I checked the monitors and sure enough, I'm stuck in Amsterdam Centraal Station freezing my butt off for two extra hours. Boo. So I went to Starbucks and got me some hot chocolate and raspberry cheesecake. It was delicious. I headed back to the platform and some worker was rounding up the passengers for my train. So I followed him, and we ended up in the international train information area where other passengers were already camping out. I found a spot on the floor near an outlet and charged up my iPod while I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for about an hour. Thus far, I love it. I will want to see it a well as The Hunger Games when I get home.

After sleeping on the floor of the train station for another hour, people suddenly started grabbing their bags as someone was speaking in Dutch over the intercom. Of course, I followed because following the crowd is what I do best. The train had finally arrived. Even though my ticket was in Dutch, I figured out my car and seat # and we left around 22:45. I was going to pay for a bed which was 27.50 euros, but I just couldn't do it an instead paid the 17.50 euros for a reclining chair. It reclines more than an airplane seat but not by much.

I had a terrible nights sleep hit did get at least some. I gatherer blankets. One on my head and two on my legs. They didn't even provide pillows. My limbs kept losing circulation when they leaned up against arm rests ad what not.

I got up at 8:45 to get ready. After the tossing and turning from the night, I did not think it would be possible for me to even look presentable. I used the washroom and was able to somewhat salvage my hair while performing some kind of crazy balancing act.

As it got light I saw that there is snow on the ground here in Germany. I put my long johns on under my pants and also my leg warmers.

Emma, my first hostess, will be picking me up at the Schweinfurt station at 17:40. That gives me four hours to see Munich!

2 comments:

  1. What is a hostess? Like a tour guide?
    I can't wait to see pics of Munich!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is my first workaway host. I am staying in her home for a week. I will post tonight.

    ReplyDelete