Thursday, January 26, 2012

Night life in Bruges

I headed back out for a little more adventure after drying off and resting for about an hour. There were two parks I wanted to check out, plus I wanted a waffle (wafel) for dinner. I was lost again but as always, I turned the corner and voila! Exactly what I was looking for!

My first stop was The Chocolate Line, the chocolate shop my linch buddy works at. I totally saw him chocolatiering in the back. We waved at each other. We're pretty tight. I bought just three chocolates for 3.75 euro. This is the good stuff my friends. I got a dark chocolate raspberry one that was so freaking delicious i want to own a belgian chocolate shop. Actually, it seriously made me want to taste all the chocolate at all seven hundred million shops here in Bruges to find the best. I would. It was that good. I am thinking of saving the other two pieces for ma famille, but I just am not sure it will last two months. What do you think??

My next stop was Minnewater Lake. This lake is also known as "the lake of love" for obvious reasons. It was breathtaking! I am going to walk by again in the morning when it's light. I saw some joggers and even after a long day of walking I wished I had had room in my backpack for my running shoes.

My next stop was just around the corner so I was only lost for like five minutes instead of like forty five. This was the Begjinhof courtyard. Also spectacular. I found the swans home. There were like thirty of them. These are big swans people...not white ducks like in Kaysville. They float/swim around in the canals all day and they must gather there at night. It was so romantic.

This is where I found two stray cats. I only got a picture of one. For you, mom and Lauren.

I was now on a hunt for a waffle. No one told me everything closes at six. Everything except the bars that is...I found an ice cream shop with waffles so I ended up eating that for dinner, and I don't regret it one bit. Just look at the picture. Yum. Kenzie/lexa/Hillary and I did it right growing up...those ice cream topped waffles after sleepovers were so great! I enjoyed it on the Markt Square just across from the bell tower. It was surreal.

I don't understand how people LIVE here. To me it's like...having Delicate Arch in your backyard and thinking it's no big deal. Ah...what a life.

A few more things about Bruges before I forget. One, the only ads here are Audi's, BMW's, Volvo's, and Mercedes. It's lovely. Two, everyone rides bikes. The only thing I missed about home today was Sylvia, my beach bike. She'd be perfect here. For the record, no one wears helmets and they ride at night. Yeah, this town is made for bikes (the curbs are low enough or bikes to ride up) and they all have lights on the front of the bike, but still. I know how it's done. They all have baskets and bags on the front and back respectively. Some even have the little seats for kids. Three, the roads are so extremely narrow. Sometimes i have to lay flat up against the wall in order to avoid getting taken out by the side mirrors. Cars just go up on the curb as they please and bikers go on both the "sidewalk" and the road. Everyone is just everywhere. I'm getting the hang of it. Four, Lauren, you would love it here for many reasons, but especially because there are a million antique shops. I want to buy everything.

Currently hangin out here at the hostel with many others, many non American others. I previously said that no one speaks English, but that was a lie. Most everyone does, but just not very much since it's the third language they learned. I'm still afraid to talk.

They listen to good music at the hostel. REO. MJ. Come on Eileen...whoever sings that. I feel right at home! And now I'm going to bed. Travel day tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I love the cat! So glad you're having fun! I'm not seeing your first post on Bruges. Maybe it's just your techno stupid mom, but I'd love to know what you did earlier in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad text me and let me know it was missing. I had to re type my day. I'm tired so I hope I didn't forget anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome Casie. I'm glad you are having such a good time. The pictures look awesome and the chocolate sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoes and chocolate! I just figured out why I love Europe so much!!!

    ReplyDelete