Monday, January 30, 2012

January 30, 2012

I walked to the kindergarten to take Jonah his lunch. When i got there, the door was locked and the workers did not speak English. So I went back to the house and told Cameron he needed to come with me because I don't speak German. He came and we dropped off the lunch, late.

We spent the afternoon playing Mario Kart and putting away dishes. Cameron is pretty mature for a 12 year old. This whole family is very outgoing which helps me because I. Am. Not. For anyone that knows me, they will understand how hard this is for me. I hate being an inconvenience to others. I hate not knowing my place. Am I a part of the family? Do I sit around the fire/TV at night with them? Do I boss the children around? Do I answer the phone? I just am not sure. It's especially hard when I'm staying here for free...I want to pay for my stay through work, but I do not know what is too little and what is too much. I don't want to be offensive by cleaning everything. I also can't believe that Emma finds people online and within a few hours of meeting them lets them be home alone with her children..it is weird to me. What if I was a druggie or child molester or something?? She must really need the help...

I put a log or two on the fire...such a small thing made me so happy. I felt so...old school. So rural.

Cameron and I played Mario kart for a while. He was impressed with my pretty mad skills. He told me about all the bombs he had been making on some video game he had. He wants to be an inventor. He also told me that he wants to be a professional sky diver as well. When I told him I have been before, his jaw dropped to the floor. He was SO jealous!!

Cameron didn't want to go with me to get Arlie and Jonah from school. He tried to teach me how to say "I'm here to get Arlie and Jonah" in German, but I couldn't even say the first two words. He called me hopeless and started to write a note. I was laughing so hard. German lessons from a 12 year old, and I couldn't even say "I'm here.." it was hilarious. I went without the note because they had seen me at lunch and Cameron had told them I don't speak German. I got them just fine and we walked/scootered home.

We played more Mario Kart, and Arlie kept getting closer and closer to the TV. It was funny. :) We talked about our love for Star Wars, and i checked out their little figurine collection. Jonah was all clingy to me. He reminds me of my nephew because he's about the same age, but my nephew is SO much better. :) Being in a place with so many similarities to home has made me extremely home sick, but my time gets better the longer I'm here.

Jonah, the 4 year old, asked me if I could speak British. I told him i could but i'd sound silly. He also told me to stop saying "what?" and to instead say "pardon?"

I made him a nutella sandwich. I'm pretty sure nutella is pretty huge here in Europe. Chocolate spread is everywhere. In the hostels they had butter, jan, and/or chocolate spread.

I played with Jonah some more and then gave Darwin a turn at Mario Kart.

Emma got home and started on dinner. She asked me if there's anything I don't eat. I told her "no, I'm not picky." I'm really not, with the exception of tomatoes. She said that was the right answer!!

They call their mom mum and mummy and their dad Aaron. Strange isn't it? I'm totally typing this in a British accent.

We had "schnitzel" for dinner. I think that actually means meat. It was kinda like macaroni and cheese with meat in it. It was way better than m&c though. Typical homemade goodness.

I did the dishes and tidied up. Emma and I chatted about swimming pools and school holidays for a bit, and then I watched Arlie play Fifa on the wii. We were talking about football and he said, "I can't stop playing football. In the rain, snow, or sun. On the cement, grass, or dirt. On the tv. In the backyard. I can't stop playing football." That's pretty much the attitude of every European said perfectly from the mouth of a nine year old. Every time he scores he runs around the house screaming and waving his arms in celebration.

Cameron showed me some video games. It totally reminded me of my sisters on their little game websites. Once again...so much like home.

I played with the dogs while Emma put the kids to bed, and then Emma and I stayed up to chat for a bit. We sat on the settee as she calls it and talked about car hunting in car parks (parking lots) and her fear of automatic cars. Yes, automatic. She is scared to death of driving an automatic. I couldn't stop laughing. She's taking me to the train station (in her manual van) tomorrow so I can go see Wurzburg.

It has been mellow day of recuperation. I am so grateful for the wonderful life I'm so blessed to live. I wouldn't trade what I have at home for anything in the world. No castle. No mansion. No quaint townhome in Belgium. No cute cottage in Germany. I miss my home and family and dogs, but I'm learning too much in this solo journey to 100% wish I was there right now.

Yesterday Emma was telling me about their hopes to move to France to have a better life where there's more to it than work and sleep. I thought to myself that it doesn't matter where you are...the joy and purpose of life truly comes from the gospel of Jesus Christ. How unfortunate it is for these people over here (and everywhere) to not have that knowledge. I wish I'd brought a Book of Mormon to leave at every home and hostel I stay at on this trip, but since I didn't, I pray that my spirit will touch them and that my prayers for them (and the missionaries) will someday lead them to the gospel so that she can feel and understand the "more" that there is to life here on earth.

And with that, I say goodnight. At 8:30. These people go to bed so early!!

12 comments:

  1. This section of your trip will be a bit of a change for you. A little "domestication" mixed in with the world traveler - jet setter.

    To have it really feel like home you should find the nearest pool and make them all go lap swimming!

    How about taking a soccer ball and playing on a field somewhere with them...talk about mad skills!

    I actually think this portion of the trip will give you the full experience that the typical tourist does not see. Not that this will be the highlight, but gaining insight into their lives will be valuable.

    Thanks again for being a wonderful daughter...

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a lot like home with all the video playing! The girls are ADDICTED to Go Vacation.

    I understand the awkwardness. I still feel that way at work sometimes. I don't know what I'm supposed to shrug off and what I'm supposed to get after the kids about. The kids were eating snow at recess once and I got after them and the other ladies told me to pick my battles. Then I see them get after them for something really little and I wonder what the???? Ask Emma to make you a list of what she would like you to do...then you'll know you're not doing too little or too much. Also, ask her if she would like you to assign the kids any chores or not. I doubt someone who's gone to the trouble to bring someone in their home to help would be offended if that person just up and started cleaning or asked questions about their role. At least I wouldn't....I don't like having to spell out everything to people. It's nice when someone can see something that needs doing and just does it! But I guess that could just be me. Anyway, I highly doubt my wonderful, hard working, industrious daughter would be offensive to someone she worked for.

    Have fun! I'm relaxing somewhat knowing that you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cute little kids... I love their names too!
    You rock, C-babe.. & I'm glad one of the kids thought sky diving was so awesome!! People always look at me like I'm crazy when I say I've been twice..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about all your adventures. You are so brave. I'm sure they appreciate and love all the help and attention you are giving them. Keep up the good work and enjoy Wurzburg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking along the same lines as your dad--what an awesome way to really get the feel for a place! It's always fun to see what's different but I also like seeing what's the same-like how so many things reminded you of home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The point of the workaway portion of my trip is to really live like a European. I'm having fun experiencing their way of life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops! Posted about the shopping cart here accidently!

      Delete
  8. I meant to tell you that little boy looks like Matthew Greenland. I'll have to tell Veronica that he has a twin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always BEST hanging with the natives. Each time I have gone to the UK it has never been to see the sites, although some I still have seen. Strawberry Fields. Abbey Road and the infamous crosswalk. All the cool rock venues. Liverpool and the lingerie shop that is the downstairs now for the upstairs that was Brian Epstein's office. It's always about the people and seeing my friends again that make it all that and a bag of crisps. I can't wait to hear you when you come home. Your intonation is going to be all sorts of countries. How lucky you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to learn French, Italian, and German so bad now!! Does anyone have Rosetta Stone?!

      Delete