Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bruges, Belgium


I went to bed around 8:30 last night. I was exhausted and suffering from some serious jet lag. I woke up at ten thinking it was morning. There was only one other girl in the hostel room with me. I woke up at 8 when my watch alarm went off and I got ready and went down to breakfast. It is included in the cost of the hostel which was about 16 euros per night.y options were toast and/or cereal. The cereal was oats, dried fruit, and almonds. Flavorless but healthy. I went on my way.

My first stop was supposed to be the Bell tower. I was determined to climb the 750+ year old, 272 foot high tower...all 366 steps...to the most spectacular view of Bruges. Instead, there was a sign at the door saying it was closed until April 1. :( worst news evers. I guess I'll just have to come back...darn ;)

I then headed over to Burg Square which holds the town hall and Basilica of the Holy Blood among many other things. It was spectacular!! I sat around waiting for the basilica to open. A field trip group of junior high age kids told me they were recruiting people to play a game. I agreed to play and joined them in a circle. A girl told me the rules of the game in English and we played. It was some sort of ninja game. It was weird. I think it was more fun for them to collect people than it was to play the game, but whatever.

I got brave and had someone take a picture of me with the city hall. It's on my camera though so you'll have to wait.

I went into the Basilica of the Holy Blood. It is a church famous for holding a relic containing cloth soaked with Jesus' blood...brought to Bruges in 1150. No pictures were allowed, but I snuck some anyway. Music was playing and everything was just beautiful. Very gothic..

I then headed to the Groeninge Museum. 8 euros. They had a coat room. Nuff said. This museum holds centuries of Flemish art. Some may say that the change in art is due to the styles changing...but I think it's loss of talent. I'm sorry but three sticks leaning up against a wall do not compare to the detailed paintings of Christ, John, and Mary. The paintings from the 1700's paid so much attention to detail...from the dog licking itself to the hairy arms and noses. I could do an abstract piece of art. Anyone could. Stupid stuff. There were also piexes from the original city hall in the 1300's. This is old stuff! The museum was great...I really liked it.

Next was the Church of our Lady. One euro, but worth SO much more. This church stands as a memorial to the power and wealth of Bruges in its heyday. Michelangelo's Madonna and Child is inside...it's the only statue of his to leave Italy during his lifetime. It was stolen and recovered twice during wars in 1794 and 1944. It's beyond beautiful. There were tons of kneeling benches, confession booths, paintings, and excavated tombs. The people were buried there in the 1300's and the tombs were excavated in 1979. There were two mausoleums, one for Charles the Bold and one for Mary of Burundy. Her tomb and two others were underneath as well as an urn that held the heart of Philip the Handsome. There were "gravestones" everywhere. One of my favorite things was called the Christmas Crib. It was a carving made from an old, seemingly worthless elm tree. It had a lot of symbolism an meaning, and it was pretty. I want it. When I leaned that pictures were ok, I stopped sneaking them on my iPod and went back through with my camera.

Then, I went to Choco-Story: The Chocolate Museum. Six euros. It told all about the history and making of chocolate. Belgian chocolate is so delicious because it has regulations regarding how much pure cocoa has to be in it, it is ground smaller than your taste buds, and they only use high quality cocoa beans. It's famous because it's so delicious, it's made right, and the praline was invented here. At the end of the museum there was a demonstration and a guy made chocolates. We got to have one at the end. Mmmm mmmm mmmm...it was good! Dark chocolate filled with milk chocolate hazelnut.

I wandered out to the windmills which I really loved. I attempted to walk around the perimeter of Bruges in search of a hanging skull. I had no idea what i was looking for, but it sounded spooky-I like spooky. I got super beyond lost. Even with my map. For about an hour I just wandered and checked every street name with the ones on my map...none of them matched. It started hard core pouring rain. After an hour I finally figured out where I was and it was no where near where I thought I was. It was about 2:30 and I saw a little sandwich shop called Panos that looked good and cheap. I got a turkey sandwich an water for 4.70 euros. A local sat down with me. He was cute, but probably like early 30's. He was born in Bruges and works at a chocolate shop. It was the very chocolate shop I planned on going to that night because Rick Steve's suggested it! He was shocked to hear that I was from America. He thought I was from England. I must have an accent already ;) He was super nice!!

I said goodbye and went to find that darn skull again. I found the place I was looking for but no skull :( u was feeling pretty tired and pretty wet so I headed back to my hostel to rest. I got lost for another hour, but I loved it. The beauty of this place is really in the imperfections...the uneven bricks in the street...the peeling paint...it's just so quaint and pretty! Every front door is different. Not one is like another even if they share a building. They have mailbox slits and come in all colors and styles. I found yet another beautiful bridge. This one had locks on it, and if I remember correctly you put a lock on it after you kiss on it. Locking your love or maybe just your lips. I can't remember.

I made it back to the hostel. The funny thing is that I'm 90% sure u walked right by it thirty minutes earlier. Oh well...

I'm getting dried off and then I'm headed out for more! There are chocolates and parks awaiting me.

Warning: Picture overload. Sorry I can't organize or label them!

4 comments:

  1. I love the blog!!!!! It is so fun to read about your adventures.

    After seeing some of the pictues with you in them it is no wonder everyone is surprised to hear you are from America. The fur lined hood, scarf, leggings, and Italian leather purse (imitation I am sure!) make it so you fit right in. Then throw in a little French and you are a local!

    Thanks for including the picture of teh 3 sticks of wood leaning against the wall. I agree 100%, that sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! That made me laugh out loud. Too bad the first thing the local at lunch said to me was "tourist?" I left that part out on purpose, but I guess I'll confess it now. Wait, that's a lie. He did say something in a different language and I just smiled and said, "hi!" so maybe, maybe that's what gave me away. English is NOT anyone's first language around here. But if I say bonjour then they will probably rattle off in French and i won't understand a thing. It's a lose lose situation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, LOVE!
    I am following you more than I should be following you. Haha! This is what life is about. Discovering the world, and, in the process, discovering who you are. My most treasured memories of the UK are when I spent three days just wandering, all by myself with this crazy, cheesy grin I couldn't wipe off my face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad your mom told me about your blog. You are a great writer! I had to go back to the very beginning and see where this all came from. I laughed and laughed at your Q&A section - with the first being: Have you seen the movie "Taken?" Your answer was even better!! Why am I not eating chocolate with you?? Lauren should have gone with you! I loved your assessment that the beauty of Europe is in its imperfections. Very introspective! I'll be praying for your safety and good health!! Party on - within reason! ;) Love, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete